четвер, 24 квітня 2014 р.

Hue Notifier for Hadoop goes wild

Several months ago I developed Chrome browser plugin for my own needs. As a Hadoop engineer I faced with one problem everyday. I run a lot of Hive/Pig jobs simultaneously and they take a lot of time (from several minutes to several hours). So, I had mission to check job completion by walking Hue's pages in my browser. Well, it was 1) irritate, 2) draw away from coding...

As solution I developed Hue Notifier for Hadoop plugin for Google Chrome. It "monitors" state of job and inform you about completion similar to GMail informs about new mail (pop-up over all windows). I have a quite limited knowledge of JavaScript and it has been first time I wrote browser plugin... so, I'm absolutely sure it might be improved. I tested it with Hue delivered with Cloudera 4.3 and Cloudera 5 as well as HDP2.0. The most irritating issue w/ my code: Chrome Notification must be enabled manually before start using plugin :(

The source code is generally available at GitHub under this repository. You are welcome to fork and improve this one. Or, if you wish just to contribute, ping me and I will grant access (and push changes to Google Play afterwards).

1 коментар: